Losing trees because of storm damage can be devastating to any property owner. Not only do mature and healthy trees represent a significant investment in terms of time and money, but they also contribute to the property’s aesthetic value. If you want to protect your valuable plants from tree storm damage, you need to hire tree service professionals in Merritt Island, FL.
Red Wine’s tree service is the top tree service company in Florida, covering Merritt Island and the nearby counties. We offer our services 24/7, and we guarantee an efficient, affordable, and timely response to your call.
Types of Storm Damage
After a strong storm, there are six types of tree storm damage that you need to look out for:
- Blow-over: the whole tree is toppled by storm winds, typically damaging the trunk and ripping the roots out of the ground.
- Stem failure: trees tend to repair torn bark by growing new bark over time. However, these points are usually weaker compared to the original structure. Any further stress can cause the bark to warp and tear.
- Crown twist: branches grow abnormally due to storm stress, causing them to twist around each other.
- Root failure: the physical stresses caused by storms can damage root structures and weaken them, causing them to grow out of the ground.
- Branch failure: the points where branches attach to the tree become weak and unstable. Branch failure can cause falling hazards and property damage.
- Lightning damage: when a tree is struck by lightning, the intense heat and electricity will damage the tree’s internal structure.
5 Ways to Prevent Storm Damage
While there is no sure-fire way to prevent tree storm damage completely, there are steps you can take to mitigate the amount of damage and prevent the trees from dying completely. Here are five things that you can do to lessen storm damage.
1. Regular Inspections During Off-Season
Make sure to inspect your trees during the dry season regularly. Look out for signs of a weakened or diseased tree, such as damaged limbs, peeling or cracked bark, or protruding roots. Once you notice any of these signs, it might be time to call a tree service professional to assess your tree’s health.
2. Prune Overhanging Branches
Regular pruning is essential for healthy tree growth because it removes competition for nutrients and allows healthy canopy growth. Remove any large branches that grow out in awkward or dangerous angles immediately. Branch removal requires proper tools and experience to be done correctly and safely.
3. Place Supporting Structures
Weak trees may require external support structures to help the tree during extreme weather conditions. Our team can install flexible and strong steel cables to shore up weak branch connection points and bent trunks.
4. Maintain Tree Health
Providing the proper nutrients and water to your trees will help keep your trees healthy. Healthy trees stand a much better chance of withstanding strong storms on their own, even without supporting structures.
5. Place Buffers
Placing external buffers against natural elements can help your trees by lowering speeds and breaking wind force. You might be surprised by how much protection a fence can provide for your trees.
Since lightning storms are commonplace in Florida, you can also consider placing conductive cables around your trees. These structures will attract lightning away from your trees and prevent catastrophic tree storm damage due to lightning strikes.
Protect Your Trees
Homeowners in Merritt Island, FL, should take the proper steps necessary to protect their property from tree storm damage. Learn more about emergency tree services by Redwine’s Tree Service and call us today at 321-615-1427 for a consultation or to assess the damage to your property.